Let's Talk. What does respect really mean?

2016 was an amazing year, everyone made it amazing. Welcome to 2017 once again. Things are so hard. I had to refill my 3kg gas with one thousand five hundred naira instead of one thousand naira. My mum said 12.5kg now goes for over four thousand naira. Kerosene is a no-go area. I heard a litre cost over four hundred naira. I stand to be corrected. How are things in your area? Things are difficult, but this will pass too. If it doesn't, we must survive.
I've been very unstable with this blog, but I'll try so hard this year. It's a new year, right? So, it's time for a segment on my blog entitled 'Let's Talk'. You can go to my previous post to read the last topic or the last thing we discussed as regards that segment. I want to talk about respect today. I want to know what respect really means.
What does respect really mean? I was chatting with someone from one of the eastern states. Please, kindly note that we've been getting along well.  I started the conversation with 'Hi' one morning and this guys said so many things o. He accused me of being disrespectful and almost went further to say that I lack home training and manners. I nu kwa... I was confused o. This oga said I should not address my elder with 'hi'. He even had the guts to ask me what 'hi 'means. A graduate o. I guess to him, a respectful lady is one who adds 'sir' to everything she says.
I had to check my dictionary and I was confused. I worked in an organisation last year where 'hi' is a very official way of exchanging pleasantries. Unfortunately, my chill level was 0% that day (this chill level has to move from 0% o). I gave the boy abi na guy what he deserved .
Dear friends, what does respect really mean? Does respect mean adding 'sir' or 'ma' to everything? Is 'hi' a bad way of starting a conversation with someone?

Ebere Mercy Aham, thank you for being my friend. You are loved.

Comments

Helen said…
I think saying "hi" is not actually a bad thing...besides, this guy was chatting with someone on a SOCIAL NETWORK. Obviously, saying "hi" to someone on a social network is not bad manners. PS:I think he's being silly.
Imagenaija said…
Thanks for leaving a comment Helen.
Unknown said…
I do not totally disagree with you or the said guy, is a problem of the culturally confused African society.
We in the black soil are culturally caught in between hence we grow hairs,fix attachments, bleach our skin and others.
Hi is not any form of greeting in our culture. Our culture also mark a difference in the way an older person should b greeted from a mate or a younger person. In our land greeting connotes respect and love unlike where it's a mere social formality.
Respect is an attitude of consideration or high regard and I dare say that greeting is part of it in our clime.
Imagenaija said…
Thanks for airing your view Emmanuel.